There are a number of major technical events coming up in Salt Lake City in February. It is not often that premier computer science research conferences come to Salt Lake City, as opposed to Boston, Austin, Seattle, or the Bay Area. John Carter am the General Chair of the HPCA conference and got the IEEE to locate it here. Also convinced PPoPP to co-locate their conference here. All of the events below, except the Organick Lectures, will be at the Marriott City Center in SLC (next to Gallivan Plaza downtown).
- Feb 16-20: 14th International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture. HPCA is one of the premier computer architecture research conferences.
- Feb 20-23: 13th ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles and Practices of Parallel Programming. PPoPP is one of the premier research conferences focused on parallel programming and parallel systems.
- Feb 20-21: The University of Utah will be hosting its annual Organick Memorial Lecture series. This year's speaker is Dr. Fran Allen, IBM Fellow Emeritus and this year's ACM Turing Award winner.
There are a number of interesting tutorials and workshops associated with HPCA or PPoPP:
- Feb 16: 12th Workshop on the Interaction between Compilers and Computer Architectures (INTERACT-12) * Feb 16: Tutorial on Architectural Implications of Multiple Clock Domains Multiple Voltage Domains and Dynamic Voltage-Frequency Scaling (MCD/MVD/DVFS)
- Feb 17: 11th Workshop on Computer Architecture Evaluation using Commercial Workloads (CAECW-11)
- Feb 17: 1st International Workshop on Storage and I/O Virtualization, Performance, Energy, Evaluation and Dependability (SPEED 2008)
- Feb 17: 2nd Workshop on Computer Architecture Research Directions (CARD-2007)
- Feb 17: Tutorial: Power Management Solutions for Computer Systems
- Feb 17: Tutorial: High-Speed Network Architectures for Clusters: Designs and Trends
- Feb 23: 3rd ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Transactional Computing (TRANSACT 2008)
- Feb 23: Tutorial: Parallel File Systems and I/O Middleware for Extreme-Scale Platforms
There will be a joint luncheon of HPCA and PPoPP on Feb 20th at which Fran Allen will be speaking. At least for now, only people registered for the conference are invited.