Tom Davies column in Governing magazine discusses the things that new public sector CIOs struggle with when they've been used to working in the private sector. Reading the issues was a trip down memory lane. I think they all must be reading my blog. :-) Here's some of the issues that they mentioned:
- Process is more important than results
- Bottom-line focused individuals hit the wall pretty quickly
- Management tools are different
- Stovepipes and a lack of enterprise vision
- A lack of transparency in the budgeting and rate process
- The slow pace of change
Not surprisingly, no one mentioned the legislature, legislative staff, or the the press. There are some things you don't talk about until after you leave.